What is bepanthen?
Bepanthen® is the registered trademark of a synthetic medicine that uses dexpanthenol (pantothenic acid or vitamin B5 ) (1) as its active ingredient , a chemical compound belonging to the line of medicines called epithelial restoratives and regenerators, with an effect on skin conditions .
To highlight: This pharmaceutical product is produced by the company named BAYER DE MÉXICO, SA de CV (2)
What is bepanthen used for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of its active principle, bepanthen® stimulates the proliferation of fibroblasts and epithelialization (cells that regenerate the skin) for the formation of epithelial tissues, favoring the repair and healing of wounds and skin lesions, as well as protects, moisturizes and regenerates. (3)
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of bepanthen
The presentation of bepanthen® is in a tube containing protective ointment against chafing, with dexpanthenol 5 g. The administration of this medicine is through the skin and the dosage as a reference can be the following: .
- Bepanthen® ointment: Apply a thin layer of ointment to the area to be treated once or more a day, according to medical indication, after carefully washing the baby’s skin.
Bepanthen Side Effects
Data from clinical studies indicate that therapeutic treatment with bepanthen® may cause some of the following adverse effects in a certain patient population :
- Possible allergic reactions due to patient contact with any of the drug’s components.
- Contact dermatitis and allergic dermatitis.
- Itching, erythema, eczema and rash.
- Hives, skin irritation and blisters.
Important: If during the use of bepanthen® the patient manifests any of these symptoms or another not described, please stop using it and notify your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of bepanthen
The use of bepanthen® is contraindicated in any of the following circumstances:
- Patient hypersensitivity to the content of chemical compounds in the product.
You should know: Provide all the information related to your health history to your doctor, before starting treatment with this medication.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to pantothenic acid.
- Despite the low toxicity, contraindications and side effects that this drug can cause, it is recommended that the administration be done through a prescription or medical prescription.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions while using bepanthen®.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.
- Keep this medicine away from exposure to high temperatures.