What is apixaban?
Apixaban is a type of generic active substance that is currently used in only one commercial line medical product. It has the characteristic of being a type of anticoagulant, without direct effects on platelet aggregations (for the process of thrombus formation).
What is apixaban used for?
- Apixaban treatment works as a direct inhibitor of factor Xa (as do other substances such as rivaroxaban and edoxaban ), which serve to propagate coagulation when platelets are activated in the midst of vascular injury. Fortunately, this blockage of factor Xa is reversible and does not have a direct effect on the process of platelet aggregation, only working to prevent thrombi or blood clots. (1)
- It is used to treat:
- venous thromboembolism.
- systemic embolism.
- Deep venous thromboembolism.
- Pulmonary embolism .
Dosage and routes of administration of apixaban
In the form of commercial and generic medicine, the presentation of apixaban is in a box of 20 tablets, 50 tablets or 100 tablets with a net content of 2.5 mg or 5 mg of the active metabolite, whose route of administration is oral. The doses in which apixaban is commonly administered are as follows:
- Adults: Administer 1 tablet of 5 mg twice a day, for most cases of diseases for which it is indicated.
What products contain apixaban?
Some of the medicines that contain apixaban and others with the same anticoagulant effect are:
- Eliquis® is a commercial drug whose active ingredient is apixaban , which is manufactured and distributed internationally by the Pfizer company . (two)
- It is made up of additional excipients such as lactose , hypromellose , sodium lauryl sulfate, and titanium dioxide.
- Its presentation is in the form of film-coated tablets , with approximately 2.5 mg of the main active substance of apixaban.
- Xarelto® is a commercial anticoagulant manufactured and distributed by Janssen Pharmaceuticals . (3)
- It is composed of the active substance rivaroxaban .
- Its indications are aimed at pulmonary embolism , systemic embolism, thromboprophylaxis and deep vein thrombosis. (4)
- For more information about this drug, see What is xarelto and what is it used for? .
- Pradaxa® is another type of commercial line anticoagulant, distributed by the international laboratories of Boehringer Ingelheim . (5)
- It is made up of the chemical dabigatran .
- It is mainly indicated for hip or knee arthroplasty , where the blood clot usually forms.
- Lixiana® is a commercial line medication to prevent the formation of blood clots, which is manufactured by Daiichi Sankyo laboratories . (6)
- It is primarily composed of the anticoagulant metabolite edoxaban .
- It is prescribed for the treatment of stroke and the prevention of non-valvular atrial fibrillation.
Apixaban Side Effects
Taking apixaban can bring with it a series of certain adverse effects at the blood level, it is not worrying since some occur very frequently and should not pose a risk to the patient, however, they must be warned of. Therefore, we mention the most relevant effects that are:
Important: You must stop taking apixaban and call your doctor immediately if these side effects occur and your condition worsens.
Contraindications and warnings of apixaban
The substance of apixaban is contraindicated for a certain population of patients , in whom it is wanted to prevent damage to health with certain conditions, which may negatively interact with the use of this medication in some treatment. Therefore, they are not recommended in these cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance.
- Active bleeding.
- Children under 12 years old.
- Pregnancy and lactation .
Avoid if you have:
- Inform your doctor to use this substance in medicines, with the prescription or prescription of a specialist.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.
- This medicine should be kept sealed in a dry environment.
- Always keep at room temperature.