Salmon is an attractive and unique fish due to its texture, flavor and special color, which characterize it as an incredible option for the preparation of different dishes. In addition, it is easy to find in supermarkets and fishmongers.
The benefits that this fish provides for health are many, due to the large amount of proteins and essential fatty acids for the body, such as omega 3, being recommended for hypertension, cholesterol and weight loss.
In this article, you will learn about the different benefits that this fish provides for health, thanks to its various components. In the same way, you will find out what its nutritional value is and in what ways you can consume it.
What is salmon?
Salmon is a freshwater and saltwater fish, recognized by its orange-pink flesh. It has a special flavor and aroma, which is pleasant to the palate. It is considered a super food for its high protein value and omega 3 content.
Likewise, omega 3 is a very useful fatty acid for the body, since it helps to strengthen neurons, prevent diseases, improve the cardiovascular system, reduce bad cholesterol, among other benefits.
Health benefits of salmon
The health benefits of salmon are many. This fish is known for being a food that favors the fight and prevention against different disorders of the body, among which we can mention the following:
1. Protects cardiovascular health
Salmon is a food that helps prevent cardiovascular problems in the body, thanks to the omega 3 fatty acids it contains, thus reducing the risk of heart attacks in healthy people.
A study published by the Chilean Nutrition Magazine mentions that omega 3 fatty acids have an antithrombic and antiarrhythmic effect that favors the protection of cardiovascular health in people.
2. Regulates blood pressure
The omega 3 fatty acids contained in salmon also have an anti-inflammatory and vasodilator effect, which help repair arterial tissues, while in turn working as mechanisms to regulate blood pressure control.
3. Lowers cholesterol
Salmon thanks to its nutrient components and omega 3 acids, help reduce bad cholesterol levels (LDL) in the body, and in turn increases healthy levels of this (HDL).
A study carried out in Caracas by nutritionist María Isabel Castro mentions that omega 3 polyunsaturated acids help prevent atherosclerosis (accumulation of fat in the arteries), since they decrease the level of cholesterol in the body.
4. Promotes good blood circulation
Salmon is beneficial for promoting good blood circulation in the body, due to vitamins B3, C and E, which help prevent clot formation and prevent hardening of the arteries in the human body.
5. Contributes to the good state of the thyroid
The vitamins and minerals that salmon has help to achieve a good thyroid condition, these being iodine, selenium, iron and vitamin A, which this fish has, which makes it a good food if you suffer hypothyroidism (thyroid hormone deficiency).
6. Improves digestive function
An ideal food to improve the functioning of the digestive system would be salmon. This fish has vitamins D, A, C and group B, which help the intestine to function properly.
It also prevents intestinal disorders such as heartburn, poor digestion, fat in the liver and colon tumors.
7. Boosts memory and concentration
Salmon is a food that helps enhance memory and concentration in people, because it is rich in omega 3 and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which helps improve brain development, and therefore, have greater dexterity. mental.
8. Regenerates muscle tissue
Regenerating muscle tissue can be easier with the consumption of salmon due to its high protein value. Every 100 grams is equivalent to 22 grams of protein that help this task. In addition, it has leucine that serves to prevent muscle deterioration.
For this reason, salmon is recommended for athletes and people who perform regular physical activities, since it is an excellent ally for muscle growth and repair.
9. Strengthens bones
A very useful food to strengthen the bones of the body is salmon. A small serving of this fish has enough vitamins D and calcium to help keep them firm and healthy.
So the consumption of salmon can prevent diseases such as osteoporosis, osteomyelitis, osteomalacia and even bone cancer.
10. Reduces the risk of diabetes
The risk of suffering from diabetes is reduced with the consumption of salmon, because it helps regulate blood glucose due to the omega 3 that it possesses.
In the same way, the vitamins A, E and C and minerals such as selenium, magnesium and zinc that it possesses, collaborate in this process.
11. Reduces the risk of cancer and chronic diseases
Salmon is a fish that has a substance called selenium, acting as a powerful antioxidant in the body, which in turn helps prevent cancer or chronic diseases early.
A study carried out at the University of Chile , on omega 3 fatty acids as a nutritional alternative, concluded that these can be given as protective and preventive agents against the development of prostate, breast and colon cancer.
12. Contributes to the good condition of the skin and hair
This fish contributes to obtaining a good condition of the skin and hair, so that they look brighter and more resistant. This is because it contains a large amount of vitamins A, C, E, D and group B, which make it possible.
Nutritional properties of salmon
A study carried out by the Ministry of Food, Fisheries and Agriculture of Spain , mentions that salmon is a fish that has multiple nutritional properties with a higher quantity compared to other fish, these being the following:
The amount of protein that salmon has is high, making it a highly protein food, since every 100 grams of this fish is the equivalent of 22 grams of protein.
Salmon has a wide variety of vitamins, which are essential in the body, in order to maintain good health, among which are vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, B12, C, D and E. .
The minerals found within salmon are varied, and like vitamins, their role is to maintain proper functioning of the body, these being magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron, iodine, sodium, potassium, phosphorus and selenium.
The omega 3 fatty acids that salmon possesses are what make it an attractive food, since it has a large amount of healthy fats, distributed in 6 grams of monounsaturated and 2 polyunsaturated for every 100 grams of this fish.
How to consume salmon?
It is clear that salmon is a fish with a very high nutritional value, and that it has many health benefits; but to consume it, you have to know how to prepare it. Therefore, keep in mind the following preparations:
Steamed salmon with vegetables
Steamed salmon with vegetables is a simple preparation to make, where you get a light and tasty dish to digest. In addition, it becomes highly nutritious due to the nutrients of the other foods that accompany it.
- fillet salmon
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and cut the carrots and potatoes into slices. Add salt to taste and place each one in different containers.
- Wash the asparagus and cut the lower part, since they do not have a good flavor.
- Prepare the salmon with the lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper.
- First cook the carrot in the steamer for 2 minutes.
- Then add the potato slices in the steamer, after 2 minutes of cooking the carrots.
- After another 2 minutes, place the salmon and asparagus in the steamer in an orderly fashion.
- Let everything cook in the steamer for approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove and serve on a wide flat plate, finally spread olive oil in the preparation.
The salmon tartare is a dish that is characterized by being raw and that is accompanied by some vegetables. It is an easy preparation to make and it turns out to be quite healthy and delicious.
- marinated salmon
- boiled egg
- cress leaves
- Whole toast
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the previously cleaned and marinated salmon into squares of approximately 1 cm. Reserve in a container.
- Cut the avocado and tomato to a size and shape similar to salmon. Add to a different container.
- Add to this last mixture the lemon juice.
- Then join all the ingredients and mix well so that the flavors permeate.
- Reserve in the fridge for 2 hours before serving or do it immediately with the help of a circular mold.
Salmon burgers are a delicious recipe in which the traditional meat is replaced by this fish. It is a simple preparation to make and with a very nutritious and healthy result.
- ground salmon
- I beaten egg
- Bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley
- cress leaves
- sprout sprouts
- Wash and chop the tomato into slices. Store in a container.
- Peel the avocado, cut it into julianas, and reserve it in another container.
- Mix the beaten egg with the breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Add this last mixture to the ground salmon little by little, until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Prepare the portions of salmon in a circular shape for roasting. Add salt and pepper to taste on both sides.
- In a frying pan, add a little oil and wait until it is hot enough to grill the salmon. Approximately 5 minutes each side.
- Remove from the heat and serve along with the other ingredients between the breads. One on top of the other for better appeal.