What is amantadine?
The antiviral amantadine is an active ingredient used as a drug, belonging to the line of drugs called dopaminergics that can act as antivirals and against some dysfunctions of the central nervous system in humans.
What is amantadine used for?
- Amantadine acts to stop the spread of the type A influenza virus in the body, in addition to controlling movement problems by increasing the amount of dopamine in certain parts of the body, helping to treat degenerative brain diseases .
- It is used to treat:
- Symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Patients with the characteristic symptoms of influenza illness, caused by the influenza A virus.
- Prophylaxis of flu states due to influenza A virus and others such as COVID 19.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders.
Dosage and routes of administration of amantadine
The presentation of amantadine is in 100 mg extended-release tablets in boxes with 30 units. Administration is orally and the dose as a reference can be as follows:
- Parkinson’s disease: 100 mg orally twice a day. As monotherapy up to 400 mg, in doses of 100 mg every 6 hours.
- Influenza treatment: 100 mg orally twice a day.
- Influenza prophylaxis: 100 mg orally twice a day.
What products contain amantadine?
Some of the medicines that contain amantadine are:
- Kinestrel® is a drug that contains amantadine as an active ingredient in its formula, which comes in the form of 100 mg capsules .
- It is indicated in the improvement of the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Rosel® is a combined synthetic medicine that contains amantadine hydrochloride, chlorphenamine maleate and paracetamol in its formula , which comes in the form of capsules.
- It is used to treat the flu while acting against the virus that causes it.
- If you want to know more about this medicine, see Rosel: What is it and what is it for? .
- The antiflu-des® is made with the combination of amantadine , chlorpheniramine and paracetamol as active ingredients.
- It is used in the treatment of type A influenza , as well as relieves the symptoms that accompany it.
- If you want to know more about this medicine, see Antiflu-Des: What is it and what is it for? .
- Aliren® is a drug made synthetically with the combination of paracetamol, chlorpheniramine and amantadine.
- It is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of the common cold and influenza .
Amantadine Side Effects
According to clinical data, the use of amantadine can cause some of the following adverse effects in certain patients :
- Possible allergic reactions.
- Blurred vision, mareos and insomnia .
- Depression, anxiety and irritability.
- Hallucinations , confusion and psychosis.
- Dry mouth, constipation, vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia.,
- Ataxia, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension.
- Headache, drowsiness, amnesia, sleep disturbances, and fatigue.
- Heart failure, urinary retention , skin rash, hypertension.
Important: Please stop using amantadine and notify your doctor if any of these symptoms or other symptoms not included in the list appear during the treatment period.
Contraindications and warnings of amantadine
Amantadine treatment is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Patients with hypersensitivity to any of the components of amantadine.
- Patients with heart problems or peripheral edema.
- During the pregnancy period.
- During breastfeeding.
- Patients with heart failure.
- In patients with prolongation of the QT interval.
- Patients with medication for cardiovascular problems.
- In people with seizures.
To emphasize: Provide all information about your medical history to your doctor, before starting treatment with amantadine.
Avoid it if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to amantadine and rimantadine.
- History of heart disease.
- Family history with QT syndrome.
- gastric ulcer
- This medicine must be administered with a prescription or medical prescription.
- The dose in patients with heart problems should be carefully adjusted.
- Do not increase the daily dose without consulting your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you are taking medication for other conditions.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.
- Store this product in a cool, dry place.